Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh Boy, This Is Proving To Be Difficult

So, remember how I was supposed to tell how my gluten-free lunch went? Well, we ended up eating at Friendly's, where I can eat one of two meals. I decided I didn't want sirloin tips or Monterey Jack chicken, so I decided to go for broke and have what my favorite dish was back when I ate anything I wanted: chicken strips with honey mustard sauce. Mmmm. And it was good! Up until about 20 hours later when my gastrointestinal system decided it was a very very bad idea that needed to be immediately eliminated. Ouch. Apparently I didn't really learn my lesson on Monday with the Chinese food. I think that since I let myself eat regular food one day, it was easier to just say, 'oh it's okay, I'll be fine' the next time I was confronted with the decision. I've thought a lot about it and am in the process of rebuilding my resolve to remain gluten-free. It's really not about how good the food tastes when I eat it, because it makes me sick, so I just have to learn to suck it up and do it for my health. It might be hard sometimes but that's life.

So, with that new mindset, I decided tonight to make a gluten-free sandwich bread mix from a company called 365, a Whole Foods brand. Right now I'm waiting for the dough to rise in the pan as per instructions *30-40 minutes* and then I'll be baking it in the oven for approximately 30 minutes at 375 until it's golden brown. I'm excited to see how it tastes, since it is made from rice flour and therefore should NOT taste like beans! I'll let you know how it comes out, of course.

I know I'm making mistakes in this whole process, but I'm realizing where I need to "man up" and learning how to deal with it all. Maybe you've gone through this same thing, or are going through it right now. I'd love to hear any stories or try to answer any questions you might have! And if you've got links to share, go for it!

Until next time,
Gluten, Not Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment