Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 11 Already?

I just counted how long I've been gluten free, and it's already been eleven days. I'm actually feeling really good, and haven't had any of the normal issues I used to experience on a daily basis. No cramping, no bloating, no feelings of gas in my abdomen that just won't move on out, no back-and-forth between the spectrum of regularity. Gross, I know, but it's what I was going through, and what other people probably went through before a diagnosis, and probably what other people are going through right now waiting to find out what is going on! Although I was told I had IBS about eight months ago, I did notice at school my symptoms were expanding. For instance, I began getting nauseous and even vomiting at times. I checked online, and throwing up was definitely not an IBS symptom, so that is probably one of the things that started me on thinking it might be a gluten problem.

I digress.

Today is my day off from work, and I decided to look up gluten-free bakeries in the state so that I could check some out and maybe pick up some treats. I'm definitely a fan of desserts and breads, so I was pleased to discover a gluten-free bakery close by to me, about 20 minutes away. In addition, there was a gluten-free store not too far from the bakery, so I was able to pick up some more supplies. The prices at the store were expensive, just as I discovered at Whole Foods. There isn't much I can do about that, however, so I didn't stop from purchasing anything based on the price. Unfortunately it's more expensive for these foods, but if it makes me feel good I guess that's the price I'm willing to pay.
The bakery was also very expensive. I purchased some chocolate cupcakes, a fudge-y brownie, and a cinnamon raisin loaf of bread. The website that gave me the name of the bakery raved about the cupcakes, and as I write this post I am slowly savoring the taste. It really is delicious! The bakery is also dairy, peanut and soy free *with one or two exceptions that they clearly label* so the frosting on the cupcake is not butter based, but it's still quite tasty. It's very smooth, and although it has a slightly less sweet taste when eaten without the cupcake, if you combine the two they really balance out. The cupcake itself is just as spongy and moist as the cupcakes I'm used to making and eating, which is very pleasing. I'm happy to have treated myself to these treats, and I suggest for anyone starting out to look up like I did keywords like "gluten free bakery *name of state*" on a search engine. I prefer Google, but to each her own.

I have noticed that some gluten-free products have an unusual taste. For instance, I recently made a gluten-free chocolate cake with a package of "Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix." It uses raw eggs in the batter, but after pouring into the pans I had to taste it. There was an unusual flavor that was almost bitter, and I hoped that it wouldn't come out when the cake was cooked. Unfortunately it stayed, and when I looked it up online I found an article saying that this was a "bean-y" flavor due to the fact beans are the base ingredients of the mix. I frosted the cake and that helped somewhat, though next time I think I will try adding a quarter cup or half a cup of sugar, just to mask that bean taste.

Today I will be using the "Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix" and making myself a pizza. I'm not quite sure yet what I'll put on the pizza, in addition to sauce and cheese, of course. I might peruse the internet some more to look and see what spices taste good, and maybe put on some green peppers to give it a softer crunch on top. When it's done, I'll definitely post the results of what I used and how it came out. Fingers cross it will be edible (and hopefully without a bean taste, though I am not sure if there are beans in this mix)!

One thing I have been experimenting with is both rice and corn pastas. I get an hour break at work for my lunch time, and I live less than ten minutes away so I always go home on lunch. I used to cook pasta and then fry it up in olive oil with hamburger, or chicken, or even tuna fish. I started boiling enough pasta for a few days' lunch, and when I get home I heat up some spices in olive oil for about five minutes before adding pasta. Lately I've been using tuna as my meat source, but even with just the pasta I think it's delicious. The spices I like to 'season' the oil with are minced garlic, parsley, basil, chives, onion powder, and sage. I really like garlic so I never scrimp on that, but I don't go too overboard with the parsley and basil because with moderately fresh spice a smaller amount can go a long way. A few shakes of sage powder, a generous spreading of chives, and a few shakes of the onion powder in probably about two to three tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and you're ready to go. I judge when to add the pasta based on when the minced garlic starts to brown a little, and I cook it on medium heat (5 out of 10 on my oven dial). When I add the pasta I make sure by turning it that it gets covered in the oil and spice pretty evenly, and after about a minute or two I add the meat. With tuna, you've got to be careful of oil-water explosions. I buy tuna in a can and add it, using a fork break it up into smaller pieces in the can before adding it, and although I squeeze water out there's always some left. I experienced the oil-water explosions when the tuna and pasta started popping and jumping out of the pan onto the stove and my shirt, so now I normally cover it after adding the meat and stirring it up. Cook for a few minutes, stir, and cook for a few more before eating. It all depends on how browned/crunchy you want your pasta mix, but it's been a really great lunch to eat for the past week and a half that I've been gluten-free.

Well, I think I am probably going to get going on that pizza stuff, so I suppose that's all for now.

Until next time,
Gluten, Not Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment