Friday, August 14, 2009

It's All About Balance, I Suppose

So, remember how I said how AMAZING the cupcake from that bakery was? I also purchased a brownie there, which was also AMAZING! I was very pleased about that. I also purchased a cinnamon raisin loaf of bread. Before now, I've had regular cinnamon raisin bread and LOVED it. However, when I tried out the bread as toast with butter on it, it was...not good. Not delicious. And it reminded me of the weird taste in the chocolate cake from Bob's Red Mill. So I looked at the ingredients, and sure enough bean flour was listed as the first ingredient. I'm not sure if all things made with bean flour will have this weird taste, or if it just hasn't been perfected yet in being masked. I suppose from now on I'll have to look and see if this bean flour is in other things.

On a more exciting and hopefully delicious note, I went to the Price Chopper today to look for Betty Crocker's gluten-free cake and brownie mixes, and sure enough they had them!! Sunday I plan on making one of the cakes, and I saw the flour used is from rice, not bean, so I have high hopes. I'll be sure to post how it turns out, and if there is still a weird taste or not, though I believe it should be fine. I should mention that the brownie I had from that bakery also had rice flour as an ingredient, and I think the cupcakes do, too.

Changing gears from desserts to main dishes, my pizza turned out really well! I added a package of Sargento Four Cheese Mexican Mix, half of a green pepper chopped up, and Sargento Whole Milk Mozzarella. The sauce I used was Ragu, and I believe it was a garlic mix of some sort. I decided not to add any other spices, just to give myself a baseline that I can add to. The dough turned out really well, and I found the cook times and directions were pretty accurate in terms of how long each portion of making the dough would take. I had a fun time making it, because it's pretty easy to put together. In less than an hour I went from the mix in the package to a pizza that was ready to eat!

Well, I suppose that's all I have for today on all things gluten. I find it's becoming more and more habit to check ingredients of any food I look at, and I'm able to guess better what's more likely to have gluten, but I'm always going to check if I get food out, as should anyone who has a gluten problem JUST IN CASE. Better safe than sick!

Until next time,
Gluten, Not Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment