Sunday, August 16, 2009

Delicious Dessert

I made the gluten-free yellow cake from Betty Crocker for a work party, and it was AMAZING! Even though I was the only one who had to go gluten-free there, other people had pieces of the cake and raved about how good it was! It really tastes just like a regular cake! I frosted the cake with a vanilla frosting that had color chunks in it (I can't remember the name or brand, but I'm guessing it was Betty Crocker?) and it all went together really well. I must say, some people by-passed the three-layer chocolate devil's food cake just to try a piece of the GLUTEN-FREE cake!! That was really exciting for me :)
There is one thing that bugged me a little bit about the cake, though it is unrelated to taste. It does say on the packaging that it is a new product, but it was almost five dollars for one package! Well, four and a half, but still, it was expensive. And for that price, the mix was not even the same amount as what a regular cake mix would contain. I'm guessing it was just over half of what a regular box has, though according to the box it's 15 oz. I'm not sure whether the store I bought it from upped the price a lot, or if because it's new it's more expensive, or what the problem may be. It was very delicious, but the price-to-amount comparison was disappointing. I used an eight or nine inch round pan (not sure which size, whoops!) and got approximately eleven pieces out of it. Next I'll try the gluten-free chocolate cake and gluten-free brownie mixes, though I'm sure they'll turn out just as delicious!

If anyone knows where else the mix is sold, that'd be great information to share, as I only know of the Price Chopper at this point in time.

Until next time,
Gluten, Not Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment